⚡️Welcome back to Tool Tip Thursday!
This week we will discuss the top 10 reasons why we think it is important to upgrade your old switchboard.
1. POTENTIAL ELECTRICAL FIRES. Over-crowded connections can become loose connections over time, causing at best a wiring fault but potentially leading to electrical fires
2. When a fuse wire blows it’s not a quick fix (Head over to watch Joe’s “how to re-wire a fuse” video on YouTube)
3. Unsafe circuits! If you do re-wire your fuse you could potentially use the wrong size fuse wire making the circuit protection non-complaint with the size of the cable, which again can lead to electrical fires
4. Saves on future costs. Additional work completed on a property with an old switchboard will be costlier, as the electrician will have to upgrade the circuit protection on each individual circuit that has been altered and/or installed
5. It will allow additional room for future renovations
6. SAFER! RCD’s provide a greater deal of protection against electric shock. RCDs should trip within 0.4s in fault conditions
7. All circuits will (to the best of abilities) be labelled and identified so no guesswork required
8. Old switchboard panels can potentially contain ASBESTOS. Removing them will remove any risk of this being disturbed in the future.
9. Upgrading your switchboard may lead to other issues on the electrical system being identified, for example, poor main earth connections and or bonding connections.
10. Lastly, not the most important reason but definitely a good one, a new switchboard is aesthetically pleasing! and gives you confidence that your electrical switchboard is no longer the hazard it once was.
Thank you for reading. Make sure to watch out for Joes new YouTube video this week, where he shows you a switchboard upgrade in action. For more related reading head over to read about What causes electrical fires in the home?, Arc Fault Detection Devices and What are RCD’s and how to test them.